Both Buckwheat and Kapok make for great cushion-fill, but how do you choose which is best for you? Hopefully the following information will make your decision a little easier.
What is Buckwheat?
Buckwheat hulls are the by-product of buckwheat milling. Naturally pest and water resistant, our buckwheat hulls are a sustainable, pesticide free, hypoallergenic agricultural product.
Buckwheat hulls make a firm and body-fitting cushion. They stay in the shape you form and need.
What is Kapok?
Kapok is an all-natural fiber pulled from the seed pods of the kapok tree. A sustainable, completely natural and pesticide-free product sourced from South Pacific growers, Kapok is resilient, lightweight and water resistant, which means it also resists mold.
Kapok is also naturally hypo-allergenic: After harvest, our kapok is spun at a high rate of speed & air cleaned, leaving virtually no dust or pod debris. This makes kapok stuffing an excellent choice for environmentally sensitive individuals.
The drawback to kapok is that it is a natural buoyant hollow fiber. It is so light and fine that the fiber floats in the air and can make a mess when refilling pillows and cushions. It is advised to refill outside or in a space that is easy to clean. This may be necessary when you wish to wash the cushion/pillow cover.
Comparing Buckwheat and Kapok Meditation Cushions:
- Buckwheat Hulls make for a denser cushion, while Kapok is a bit fluffier
- Both will conform to the body’s shape and support your weight without caving in
- Buckwheat cushions tend to weigh more than a Kapok cushion (for example, our Kapok Crescent Zafu weighs approximately 28 oz versus a similar Buckwheat Crescent Zafu which weighs 69 oz)
- Some may find that the Buckwheat provides a more stable and create a very grounding feeling
- Both are environmentally friendly
The choice is yours. We offer a variety of Zafu and Zabuton Meditation Cushions. When choosing from our Zafus, you’ll also be able to select round or crescent-shaped; cotton or organic covers; preferred color; in addition to your fill preference. Our cushions also have zippers giving you access to the fill so that you can empty the cushion when you wish to wash the cover or wish to adjust the density of the fill to best fit your comfort level.